Formby Ladies Golf Club

10th hole from 11th 11th hole 3rd green

History

Women have played over the links at Formby since the earliest days, initially as the Ladies' section of the Formby Golf Club (FGC). Indeed the first plus handicap recorded in FGC was that of a woman, Miss M. I. Bushby, who on the 18th November 1885 returned a score of 72+5=77 in a monthly competition for a ladies’ prize. 

As early as 1886 the women were invited to form their own committee to organise ladies competitions and handicaps and over the next ten years the Ladies' Section thrived. Relations between the two Sections seem to have been excellent with several mixed foursome competitions being played. However when the men decided to make alterations to their course in 1896 the women asked if they could have a course of their own. Minutes from that time show the FGC council agreeing that “the women should have a course of their own for their amusement”

On New Year’s Day 1896 the Formby Ladies Golf Club (FLGC) was born. The women now had a nine-hole  course and a small clubhouse of their own but remained dependent on FGC for the management of their course.

Club minutes from early 1907 record a flurry of correspondence between FGC and FLGC regarding the cost of extending the Ladies' course. It was soon agreed that FGC would proceed with the work on the basis of only charging the Ladies with “the actual cost of the men’s time and feed of the horses whilst employed on the work”. An annual rent of £300 was agreed and to assist the Ladies in paying this rent it was also agreed that the Ladies could elect as “associates” any member of FGC at one guinea per annum. Those members of FGC who were not “associates” would be charged a nominal fee per day to play the Ladies' course. The Ladies retained the right to play on the Long Course (FGC) without payment but at restricted times.

The new 18-hole links was officially opened on 1st July 1908 and during the same year the Ladies' Clubhouse was extended to accommodate the growing membership, which now stood at one hundred and nineteen ladies. Finally in the mid-1920s FLGC employed their own green staff and took over the maintenance and development of the course.Members of FGC retained the right to be “associate” members of FLGC until 2010 when sadly, the passing of the Equalities Act meant that we could no longer offer this type of membership as it was deemed to be discriminatory.

Over the years we have hosted many prestigious competitions at County, National and International level including the British Girls' Home Internationals, the British Men’s Seniors and the British Women’s Seniors.





Created by intelligentgolf version 8.0.6
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.